Saturday, September 24, 2016

ONE YEAR IN COSTA RICA: An Interview

Cowboy, PHD in barking and play.
Loves Spencer and Kendra.






Hello and welcome! Thank you for being here with me, I am Professor Cowboy_Yeehaw and today I will be interviewing two of my favorite people.  Spencer and Kendra Thomas will answer my questions, together and individually, about their first year as full time missionaries in Costa Rica. Let's get started!



Let's bark! ... I mean, go!

Question-
How long have you been married, and when/why did you move to Costa Rica?

Answer- 
Married January 3, 2015.  We started praying about Costa Rica in February of 2015.  We knew, just by looking at each other, that Costa Rica was where we needed to be.  Why did we move? Because we were invited.  Seeking God's will is the only way a person can find peace.  



Question-
What is your mission field? 

Answer-
Our mission field is Colegio Metodista.  It is a private school with students from pre-k to high school graduation.  We primarily spend time with grades 7-11 (there is no 12th, they graduate at 11th).  We have spent the last year starting bible study small groups.  The purpose of these groups is for students to become Disciples of Jesus through meaningful Christ-centered relationships.  



Question-
What are some things you didn't expect to encounter after moving to Costa Rica?

Answer-
     Kendra: "I didn't expect a lot of things.  Principally, communication is difficult. Not just a language barrier, but a way of thinking that was different than mine. When I prepare for a meeting or event I am obnoxiously early. My coach always said '10 minutes early is on time.' As we learn Spanish one thing sticks out to me. 'I am early/late' does not translate. A person may say 'it is early.' However, that is quite different. Perhaps it is not the largest hurdle we have had, but this has proved to be the greatest learning experience. Although living with the Turrialba Volcano has also made life more interesting. With it's most active year in a long time, we now know the varied pleasures of regular ash fall."
     Spencer: "This is going to sound really dumb... but the food.  There's no tex-mex.  I was really excited when someone told me Costa Ricans do tamales.  Costa Rican tamales are not Mexican tamales, not even close.  In my mind I associated Latin America with Mexico and Mexican food.  So when we got here and I asked 'Where can a gringo get some tacos?' and they told me Taco Bell, I wasn't expecting that."




Question-
Looking back over your year, what has been the most difficult part of moving to another country"

Answer-
     Kendra: "Being away from family.  Our family is particularly close. We were so fortunate to be together for the Christmas Season, but missing my grandparent's Memorial Day BBQ and Mother's Day or the crazy annual Pumpkin Patch my mom's youth do every year is hard on the heart. Those times when the family comes together to celebrate and sometimes even argue, but then everyone takes a nap and feels better... those are the times you miss."
     Spencer: "Family, also.  On Kendra's side we have 6 nephews/nieces and on my side we have 3 boys.  So only getting to see them a few times is hard.  It's strange but true, I miss not being able to see how much they've grown.  Every time I see my nephews, they are noticeably bigger/stronger and harder to wrestle.




Question-
What gives you the most joy?

Answer-
     Kendra:  "Seeing the spark in a student's eye as they become excited to talk about the Lord and their faith. Being friends with these students, mentoring them, walking beside them as they discover what it means for Jesus to be Lord of their life, is the greatest joys.
     Spencer: "Seeing our students start to seek the Lord and take personal responsibility for their faith.  The absolute biggest blessing has been getting to share the gospel with someone who has never heard or opened the bible before."




Question-
What things do you miss most?

Answer-
     Kendra:   "The food! I miss sausage gravy, Whataburger, and Tex-Mex. Good Texas food with family and friends."
     Spencer: "Whataburger. Fishing.  Kayak.  The river.  But family most of all.  My mom and dad and my sisters family.  QUESO cheese dip!"




Question-
What is something you'd like to share that you've learned over the last year?

Answer-
     Kendra:   "Aside from some new cooking skills, I've learned to communicate better. As I said earlier, it is a struggle. I always took advantage of the whole English language to tell people about my faith, but when English is someone's second language, or if you are speaking in a new language, it is of the utmost importance you be clear with that message. The one thing we cannot afford to get wrong is sharing the Truth.
     Spencer: "Throw away all your pride.  It won't help you.  It will only hurt you and the people around you.  Having to be right or heard, because of pride, will not lead anyone to the Cross of Christ.  There is nothing I can do to change a persons heart.  Get rid of pride and make more room for the Holy Spirit."




Question-
Being your dog, I see you leave me at home every day... Where are some of the cool adventures you've been on?

Answer-
     Kendra:   "White water rafting and hiking through the rainforest have been my favorites! Beautiful views and fast paced fun!"
     Spencer: "Beaches, volcanos, and Panama.  But my favorite place in Costa Rica is Rio Tarcoles. It's know as 'The Crocodile Bridge' and it does not disappoint.   It was something I watched on the Discovery Channel as a kid and dreamed about seeing in person."
Crocodile Bridge


Manuel Antonio National Park














"I'm ready... take me with you" -Cowboy





Thank you for your prayers and support.  We are grateful for you. 


- Spencer, Kendra, and Cowboy Thomas



2 comments:

  1. Great post you guys! I lived and worked all over Latin America with my family for about 10 years and know how hard the transition is. I know Joy so I just saw your blog. Good luck in everything you do! Steve Dye

    ReplyDelete